Autumn storms are right around the corner. The effect of these storms can be good or bad. As much as we love the sound of thunder, the jolt of lightning going through the sky and the smell of rain, there are bad things that can come along with it. Power outages are often a risk associated with storms. It is good to know what to do in case you lose power, because you never know how long it could be out. It could be out for a matter of seconds, or for several hours. Here are some tips SERVPRO of El Dorado Hills/Placerville suggests that will help you know how to be prepared, and what to do during a power outage.
- Keep flashlights available around your house. Avoid using candles when possible.
- Keep the opening of freezers and refrigerators to a minimum. When kept closed, refrigerators can stay cool up to 4 hours, and freezers can stay frozen up to 48 hours. If need be, you can put ice in a cooler to keep your food cold.
- Watch out for carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are running a generator, it should be used outside and away from a window or door. Never use a gas stovetop, oven, camp stove, or charcoal grill to heat your home.
- If it’s cold in your home, add more layers of clothes and blankets. Do not use the oven or a grill as a heating source. If it becomes too cold, try to plan to go to another location where heat is available.
- Turn off and disconnect any appliances and electronics. The power may surge or spike when it is restored, and that may cause damage to the items.
- If you have a sump pump, keep an eye on it so you don’t end up with a flooded basement.
If a storm occurs, the safety of you and your family is of the utmost importance. Be safe out there!
SERVPRO of El Dorado Hills/Placerville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. We can handle any size disaster!
Call us at 916-933-3890.