Thanksgiving Safety Tips
The turkey is the biggest star, and the kitchen is the heart of the home this month. Everyone loves to be involved in holiday preparations. So, safety in the kitchen is important, especially on Thanksgiving Day when there are a lot of people at home and cooking activity. Did you know that cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries? Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, and the day before Thanksgiving! Here at SERVPRO of El Dorado Hills/Placerville, we want you to be safe this holiday with our recommended safety tips.
- Remember to stay in the kitchen when you are cooking the turkey or mash potatoes on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove! Make sure to keep hot food and liquids out of reach because the steam or splash from vegetables or gravy could cause serious burns.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from mixers, plate warmers are not dangling off the counter, so you or the children do not trip.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Perform maintenance tests frequently.
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to gather with friends and family, eat delicious food, and travel to visit loved ones. While enjoying the holiday, and as things might get hectic in the kitchen, it is important to always keep safety in mind. The kitchen presents more hazards than imagined.
Should you ever have a house fire during the holidays, call us, SERVPRO of El Dorado Hills/Placerville at 916-933-3890! We operate 24/7, servicing for local cities: Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Diamond Springs, El Dorado Hills, and Placerville.
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend from SERVPRO of El Dorado Hills/Placerville to YOU!